Justice Verma and cash discovery row: Delhi HC Chief Justice to submit report to CJI today
“The report will be examined and processed for further and necessary action,” the statement said.
(Photo: Facebook)
The Delhi High Court on Thursday refused to stay Friday’s release of “Nanak Shah Fakir”, a film based on Guru Nanak.
The court, however, issued notice to the film producer, the Central Board of Film Certification and the Centre and listed the matter for May 22.
Advertisement
A bench of Acting Chief Justice Gita Mittal and Justice C. Hari Shankar said the release cannot be stopped after hearing a plea by the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee that challenged a no-objection certificate by the censor board.
Advertisement
The petition claimed the movie had portrayed the family members of Guru Nanak through actors that it said was against the principles of Sikh religion.
Earlier, the Supreme Court agreed to hear a plea by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee on the matter but refused to grant any relief vis-a-vis blocking the release of “Nanak Shah Fakir”.
The Supreme Court will take up the matter on Monday.
The apex court pointed out that the CBFC had already cleared the film for release. It also said that outsiders cannot control the freedom of expression of an artiste.
Advertisement
“The report will be examined and processed for further and necessary action,” the statement said.
The alleged recovery of cash from the residence of a sitting judge of the Delhi High Court was raised in the Rajya Sabha on Friday. Chairman Jagdeep Dhankhar assured the House that he would find a mechanism for holding a structured discussion on the issue.
A bench of Justice BR Gavai and Justice Augustine George Masih issued a notice and sought the Central government’s reply to the Delhi government’s plea challenging the high court order.
Advertisement